Joint Admission Test for M.Sc (JAM) is a renowned entrance exam conducted by Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science (ISSC), Bangalore to enable qualified candidates to gain admission into M.Sc programs offered by these institutes in various streams. This entrance exam conducted under the guidance of the human Resource Development ministry enables the students to get admission into MSC programs, PhD programs of these national premier institutes.
JAM 2017 Exam Pattern:
Jam entrance exam is conducted in online mode and the question paper consists of both objective and descriptive questions that are based on the subject chosen by the candidate. JAM entrance exam paper comprises of eight important subjects namely
- Mathematical Statistics
- Computer Applications
A student can choose to attempt either one or two of the above mentioned subjects. In this list, the Biotechnology and Computer Applications papers have objective questions, while the other subjects comprise mainly of descriptive questions.
The objective papers have a maximum of 100 marks comprising 100 questions with one mark awarded for each question. The exam has also a provision for negative mark of 1/3rd of total marks for every wrong answer. The descriptive papers are classified into two parts namely Part I and Part II
JAM 2017 Part I paper has a total of 60 percent of total marks and contains one-mark and two-mark multiple choice questions. This paper has also appropriate negative marks for every wrong answer written by the candidate.
JAM 2017 Part II paper comprises of the balance 40 percent of the total marks and has mainly subjective questions. However, there is provision of no negative marks in this paper.
Preparation Strategies for JAM 2017
Students planning to appear for JAM 2017 have nearly a full year for preparation as the exam will normally conducted in the February month of every year. The preparation strategies will more or less remain same for all the competitive examination and will vary for different courses opted by the candidate. A descriptive paper will require an elaborate reading of the particular topic with more importance given to the speed writing to complete the exam on time. In contrast, the Objective papers will require good preparation of the basic concepts with more importance given to the formulas and important definitions.
Some of the important JAM 2017 preparation tips include
- The students are better advised to start their preparation from the first year, if they have made a decision to appear for JAM entrance exam. The questions from the JAM exam are mainly asked from the topics covered in their graduation; hence it is better for them to take separate notes as a part of their preparation.
- The candidates need to have a complete understanding of the syllabus and start their preparation within the boundary of JAM 2017 exam syllabus.
- The candidates may opt to join the coaching institutes to undergo the preparation in a more structured way.
- Mock tests and attempting previous year questions are quite important to improve the chances of JAM 2017 qualification.
- Finally, students must follow only standard books for their exam preparation as recommended by the past year successful candidates.
All the Best.